Afghanistan: Planning for Success
The conference was divided into four panel discussions:
- Afghanistan: Internationalism vs. Isolationism
- Afghanistan: The Way Ahead
- Afghanistan: The View from the House
- Afghanistan: A Conversation with Senator John McCain
- CNAS President John Nagl on the need for a bipartisan consensus on foreign policy.
- FPI Board Member Robert Kagan on President Obama's Afghanistan strategy.
- Rep. John McHugh (R-NY) on President Obama's Afghanistan strategy
- Rep. Jane Harman (D-CA) on the need for dialogue about the challenges facing the U.S.
- Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on President Obama's Afghanistan strategy
Other conference highlights:
The Foreign Policy Initiative seeks to promote an active U.S. foreign policy committed to robust support for democratic allies, human rights, a strong American military equipped to meet the challenges of the 21st century, and strengthening America’s global economic competitiveness.