FPI Resources on Safe Zones in Syria
As dictator Bashar al-Assad’s security forces continue their indiscriminate attacks against rebels in Aleppo, Syrian National Council leader Abdelbasset Sida recently urged the United States and other world powers to create safe zones along Syria’s border areas for civilians targeted by the Assad regime. In late July 2012, the Foreign Policy Initiative (FPI) and the Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD) jointly released a letter signed by 64 former U.S. government officials and foreign policy experts that calls on President Obama to work regional partners to quickly impose and protect safe zones in Syria.
FPI believes that the following op-eds and analyses can help policymakers and lawmakers formulate next steps to protect embattled Syrian civilians and support the country’s various opposition groups in their struggle against the Assad regime.
- [Video] – Where Does the Syrian Regime Stand? – FPI Director William Kristol – Fox News Channel’s Special Report w/ Bret Baier – August 7, 2012
- Foreign Policy Experts Urge President Obama to Take Immediate Action to Establish Safe Zones in Syria – Open Letter – Foreign Policy Initiative and Foundation for Defense of Democracies – July 24, 2012
- How Will History Judge Obama on Syria? – FPI Executive Director Jamie M. Fly – Foreign Policy’s Shadow Government – July 23, 2012
- [Video] – FPI Executive Director Jamie Fly Discussed Syria and the Bulgaria Bombing with Matt Duss – FPI Executive Director Jamie M. Fly – BloggingHeads’s Foreign Entanglements – July 23, 2012
- What Obama Must Do in Syria after the Failed Annan Plan – Foreign Policy Initiative and Foundation for Defense of Democracies – April 10, 2012
- Foreign Policy Experts Urge President Obama to Take Immediate Action in Syria – Open Letter – Foreign Policy Initiative and Foundation for Defense of Democracies – February 17, 2012
- Foreign Policy Experts Urge President Obama to Take Action Against Assad – Open Letter – Foreign Policy Initiative and Foundation for Defense of Democracies – December 19, 2011
- Towards a Post-Assad Syria: Options for the United States and Like-Minded Nations to Further Assist the Anti-Regime Syrian Opposition – Foreign Policy Initiative and Foundation for Defense of Democracies – November 8, 2011
- Waiting for Barack – Editorial – Wall Street Journal (subscription required) – August 12, 2012
- Spineless on Syria – Lee Smith – The Weekly Standard – August 11, 2012
- Mistaking Symptoms for Causes – Kori Schake – Foreign Policy’s Shadow Government – August 9, 2012
- The Tide of War is Rising. What is Obama Going to Say? – Peter Feaver – Foreign Policy’s Shadow Government – August 9, 2012
- The Risks of Inaction in Syria – Senators John McCain (R-AZ), Joseph I. Lieberman (ID-CT), and Lindsey O. Graham (R-SC) – Washington Post – August 5, 2012
- The Lessons of Failure in Syria – Editorial – Washington Post – August 2, 2012
- We Will Pay a High Price If We Do Not Arm Syria’s Rebels – Anne-Marie Slaughter – Financial Times – July 31, 2012
- We Still Have a Chance to Get Syria Right – Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) – Miami Herald – July 30, 2012
- Syria and Obama's Strategic Box – Gary Schmitt and Thomas Donnelly – The Weekly Standard – July 27, 2012
The Foreign Policy Initiative seeks to promote an active U.S. foreign policy committed to robust support for democratic allies, human rights, a strong American military equipped to meet the challenges of the 21st century, and strengthening America’s global economic competitiveness.